Licensing & Permits

After your farm is up and running, bringing products to market may require special permits, certification, inspection, etc. Review the Processing and Selling Value Added Food Products in Maryland (PDF) lists requirements for more information.

General Licenses

For information on selling or producing specific products in Calvert County, please contact the Department of Economic Development at 410-535-4583. We will assist you with identifying local, state and federal licensure and permitting requirements. Here is information on selling some products:


View the rules and regulations for selling eggs.

Good Agriculture Practices

Good Agriculture Practices or GAP certification can be obtained from the Maryland Department of Agriculture. While not mandatory, this certification is recommended for farmers providing products to schools, hospitals, restaurants, stores and other institutions.